How to Write a Biography Essay | Steps and Format of a Biograpphy Essay
How to Write a Biography Essay: What Is A Biography Essay? A biography essay is a type of essay where you tell the story of a person's life through your words. A biography essay gives us the chance to dwell in someone else's life. The essence of a biography essay is to sketch the person's life as accurately as possible such that the person can be easily visualized and their essence truly graspable.
The meaning of the word 'biography' is the story of a person's life written by someone else. A biography essay is one of the oldest types of literature and non-fiction. A biography includes much more than the person's basic facts like education, work, relationships, death, etc.; it portrays that person's experiences through the events in their lives.
You can also find more Essay Writing articles on events, persons, sports, technology and many more
Through a biography essay, you have to reveal who the person truly was and what they were all about- their beliefs, their ideology, all of their small traits and any little detail that will help the readers to connect with the person.
Since all biography essays are generally about famous people, it is easy to gather information about them from books and articles. A good biography essay should have little nooks of private information about which everyone is not aware of. These pieces of information must be chosen so that it supports your thesis.
All biography essays have a thesis statement. A thesis statement is a one-liner which captures the essential aspect of that person's life. A thesis statement is a statement about the person's life, which covers the big picture, or the most crucial aspect or experience of that person's life which justifies most of their doings.
A biography essay can be said to be an insight into a famous person's life which not only covers the information about their expertise but also throws light on what type of person they were.
Steps Of Writing A Biography Essay
Writing a Biography essay is diametrically different from writing a regular essay about a person. A biography essay is all about capturing the true essence of a person. It can be used as a tool by which you can show a side of a very well known person about which very little is known to the common public.
A standard biography essay should mention much more than the works of the person. You have to create an ambiance through the recreation of the personality of the person in interest.
You have to recreate the person's life and their experiences with your essay. It is an interesting and engaging way of learning about a famous person. There are a few steps that will help you to follow the format of a biography essay.
- Select Your Subject: Needless to say, the first step in biography essay writing is to select a famous person about whom you want to write the biography essay. It is advised to select a famous person since you will be required to write a lot of information about that person. You can easily gather a significant amount of information from books, articles, magazines, newspapers, etc. It is best to select a person whom you are personally interested in. That way, you can get motivated to do loads of research about that person.
- Do Research: A good Biography essay can be easily distinguished from other average essays about the same topic. The differentiating factor among the best and the other biography essays lies in the amount of time and research done on the selected person. The more research you do, the clearer picture you will have about who the person was. It is recommended to mention the famously known facts about the person only as little as required. An ideal Biography essay should have little known facts about the person. Those facts should justify your thesis statement. Take notes about the opinions of that person which are controversial, take notes of dates which are of significance to the person's life, etc.
- Make an Outline: Draw up an outline of the Biography Essay. Divide your essay into the standard five-paragraph format, which includes an introduction, a minimum of two body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Remember to remain within the word limit as given to you. The purpose of the outline of the biography essay is to ease your way through the essay. The outline will help you to organize and frame your essay. To convey the essence of the Biography essay, you should chronologically arrange the events of the person's life.
The chronological arrangement of the information will help the readers to understand and truly feel who the person was. It is crucial to pay attention and maintain the essay structure also. The outline of the Biography essay is a schematic plan which will help you to sort the information according to the most significant facts.
The easiest way of arranging an outline is by adding numbers to the points according to their significance. Outline with sub-points and with bullets. You can then easily arrange the essay with this outline.
Biography Essay Writing Format
As mentioned earlier, the format of the Biography essay should be according to the standard essay writing format with one introduction, which should have a thesis, a minimum of two body paragraphs and one conclusion. The format is further described below.
Introduction of a Biography Essay
- The introduction being the starting point of a biography essay should instantly capture the reader's attention. There are several ways to engage the readers instantly.
- You can start with a quote or saying which can be famously spoken by the person of interest. This quote should paint a clear picture of them and should easily make the readers understand what kind of personality they had.
- One other option can be to cite an anecdote or a short story from a person's life. This story or anecdote should ideally be short, crisp and should deliver a powerful message about the person. This will keep the readers engaged in the essay.
- After a flashy beginning, continue the introduction by describing the basic identity of the person with facts such as their name, their date and place of birth, education, marriage/ relationships, etc. Keep the basic information on a strictly need to know basis. The introduction should be short and should give the basic details about the person. It will help the readers to connect with the essay as it moves on.
- After the end of the introduction, a thesis statement is to be included. A thesis statement is a one-liner which captures the true essence of the person in question.
- This statement is a unique observation you have made about the person, which may be a flaw, or maybe an incident that played a huge role in the shaping of the person. It is the template on which the rest of the essay depends on. You have to shape the rest of the essay in such a way that it justifies the thesis statement.
Body Paragraphs of a Biography Essay
- The body paragraphs are where you include the information from your research. It is required to stick close to the theme of your essay, which is the thesis statement.
- Describe the information chronologically from childhood to their maturity. Include intriguing information like what their family, friends and colleagues said about them, what kind of impression they had on people, etc.
- It is essential to include information that truly upholds the complexities of their human nature. Share their experiences in a timeline which have an impact on their personality or temperament.
- It is best to avoid tedious facts like where they worked or for how many years and so on. This information should be lightly trodden on, and then you should move on to other personal information of them or of the people close to them.
- Their accomplishments should be described in a timeline and what impact it had on contemporary society or continues to have, to date.
- To keep the readers' interest piqued, include flashbacks from their lives which influenced the decisions taken by them later.
- To keep the pieces of information connected, link the events in later life with their childhood.
- Another important point which should be mentioned in the body is any major event which changed their lives in a new direction. Things like how they overcame obstacles are to be mentioned.
Conclusion on How to Write a Biography Essay
In the conclusion of a biography essay, briefly describe the experiences and events about the person of which are of utmost importance.
- Mention any quotes or interviews which support your thesis statement further. Include what their legacy is, how their work is continued and how it is relevant today.
- You can also include a less known fact about the person. Don't only restate your thesis statement, but go beyond by mentioning their impact on today's society.
- Lastly, conclude the essay with a candid comment on their impact on our society.
FAQ's On How to Write a Biography Essay
What is the outline or format of a biography essay?
The skeleton of a biography essay is given below-
What are the significant pieces of information that should be included in a biography essay?
A biography should be based on interesting and compelling facts that are not well known about a famous person. The information that is required in a biography essay is- origin, education, relationships, career path, their first job and their accomplishments. These will provide the basic information in a biography essay.
The post How to Write a Biography Essay | Steps and Format of a Biograpphy Essay appeared first on A Plus Topper.
Category : aplustoppe,Essay Writing